A wedding celebrant is a person who performs the wedding ceremony as part of the law of the state. They are registered under the law of the country and have the right and authority to certify the marriage by providing a license under the local jurisdiction. It is possible that person who is an officiant is a part of the religious organization and performs the traditional marriage ceremony you are looking for. But in many cases, couples hire celebrant who is open to any kind of belief or none to create a personal and unique ceremony of marriage.
Becoming wedding celebrant
Anybody with right interest and love for weddings can consider becoming wedding celebrant. Working as marriage celebrant allows you flexible hours to work and earn good additional money for it. With right skills and experience, you can soon become successful in this field. All you need is the confidence to interact with people and be a good listener. You need to be care, sensitive and supportive of the couples who are tying the knot. Along of being a great presenter, you must be a good writer too. Having the ability to set good vibes with people to create a relaxing and fun-filled environment is very important.
Ways to become a wedding celebrant
- The first thing that you need to do to become a wedding celebrant is to get to know the law of the place. The wedding officiant has the authority and duty to certify the marriage license. So it is important for the person trying to become the celebrant to understand the law and get registered. Different states have different rules and regulations regarding the marriage officiant. Hence visiting the Secretary of State website is a good idea to understand the laws of the place. In some places you need to qualify the Certificate IV in Celebrancy to become officiant for weddings. You need to read the marriage license to make the couples understand the value of it.
- Getting ordained means becoming a part of some religious organization. You should think about getting yourself ordained for becoming the marriage celebrant as per laws of some states. Although jurisdictions of some state do not require or recognize the ordination of some religious group to conduct the marriages, getting ordained might help couples marrying as per their religious beliefs. You can easily become ordained over online by following some steps and paying a small fee. You need to check at regular interval to confirm you are still ordained so that you do not perform anything illegal.
- When you are planning to build a business for conducting marriage ceremonies, you have to first register at local government’s or country clerk’s office under a specific name. Meet wedding professionals and create a god rapport with them. This can be beneficial for your business as people will get to know you and you can provide couples with all services at one stop. Make sure you put up a right fee amount for the marriage you will be conducting. Do a research on this topic and come up with a price that can be preferred by all depending on the location of the wedding.
- Come up with proper marketing strategies for the business like creating a good website. You can check out Digitalspotlight.com to know more about their digital marketing services. Get business cards, put a stall in the wedding trade shows and let wedding planners and venue owners know about you to grow your business.
- When you are registered and ready to perform the wedding, the first thing you have to do is to meet the couple who is getting married. Know more about them, their story and about the kind of wedding they want. Be confident and prepare yourself for conducting the marriage.